What a year! In 2016, I went to a lot of shows and events. I saw some of my favorites several times and somehow looking at the list and memories, I’m taken aback at how incredible it was. There were also many shows I wanted to go to, but for one reason or another, I wasn’t able to. Hopefully I’ll be able to enjoy more shows and experiences in 2017.
I’ve got pics & videos for most of these shows on Instagram… check them out!
Some of the highlights for me included:
- Adele at STAPLES Center… I mean, it’s Adele! I first saw her at Hotel Cafe in 2008, before “19” was released and it was amazing seeing her again. She also acknowledged me during the set, which was awesome!
- Alicia Keys at The Troubadour… yes, Alicia Keys in the intimate Troubadour. It was a secret show where she previewed songs from her album “Here,” which was months away from being released. Best part of the show was that no cell phones were allowed, I was able to enjoy the night without trying to capture it. Here’s my full review!
- Britney Spears! I was basically front row (for work) during Britney’s set at the iHeartRadio Music Festival, and it was awesome seeing her perform her medley of hits. G-Eazy also showed up, which is always a win. (G-Eazy also reposted my pic from the set, which is extra cool).
- Bastille! Bastille! Bastille! Bastille! – I was super lucky to see the guys play 3 times, and even attended a screening of “Help Me Chase Those Seconds” at the GRAMMY Museum. Best of all, I was able to see them soundcheck at Kimmel, surprisingly, I kept my cool and didn’t fanboy as the band walked right past me. Work perk for sure!
- Panic! At The Disco – I saw them twice this year, once at Kimmel and again at the taping of their “Artists Den” episode. At Kimmel, I got to see them do “Thong Song” with Sisqo.. I mean, “Thong Song” and Sisqo! I missed them at the iHeartRadio Village – I wouldn’t make it back to the venue for work, I was bummed. But sharing a flight back to LA with the guys was awesome, and an even better story.
- Jack Garratt! His live show is ridonkulous. I was all up in my feels the two times I saw him.. I was at the front of the pit and it was a life-changing moment. Seriously, if you haven’t seen him live, you’re failing at life.
- twenty one pilots – These guys are one of the best LIVE bands around. I’ve seen them several times and was able to see the twice this year. The stunned the crowd at the iHeartRadio Festival, and they did it without their signature “Trees” closing stunt! I wish they had done it to show the audience what they’re truly capable of. I also saw them play to a soldout crowd at The Forum, where they were on planks a few times, and Tyler disappeared into the audience several times, and even ran over us in a hamster-ball. Always an amazing show. I left the pit drenched in sweat… most of which was not mine. I call that a success. It was also great meeting the guys again before the show – I really dig Tyler and Josh, and stoked for all their success this year! Check out my full review + pics/vids!
- Aurora – she’s another artists that I discovered this year and was able to experience her live show three times. She’s simply otherworldly and you NEED to see her when she’s in a city near you.
- OneRepublic – I love these dudes. I got to see them three times – never a full-headlining show, but they’re always amazing. At all three shows, Ryan played “Apologize” with an incredible piano intro and I lost my shit each time. True story.
- Sia! She’s incredible! I was floored by her set at the iHeartRadio Music Festival, and then I saw her at Hollywood Bowl and it was beyond incredible. Her voice just gets to me. And she sang “Breathe Me,” and I nearly sobbed.
- Years & Years rocked The Fonda this year, and I went alone and just sang and danced the night away. I had such a great time and really enjoy their show, especially in a more intimate venue. And Olly’s got some killer dance moves – I want him to be my spirit animal.
And a few more… cuz seeing live music is simply the best.
- Calum Scott – I’m so excited for 2017 and Calum Scott. I saw him at The Troubadour, and was BLOWN AWAY. I mean, his voice is stellar. His lyrics and songs are next level goodness. I was stuck trying to enjoy the moment and also record all of it so I can replay it while I wait for him to drop his album. Seriously, some of the songs/lyrics moved me immensely.
- morgxn – I saw morgxn twice last year and can’t wait to hear more from him in 2017. I was OBSESSED with his songs, and since they were electro-synth pop songs, I wasn’t sure if he’d be good live.. but man, I was wrong. His voice is ace! He does a cover of The Cure’s “Boy’s Don’t Cry” that is a show-stopper and nearly made me cry. So good.
- Troye Sivan! I kept missing him and I was able to see him at the iHeartRadio Village, and really really need to see a full show from him.
- Wrabel – I’ve never seen an opening act get a standing ovation at The Greek until I saw Wrabel open for Andy Grammer & Gavin DeGraw this summer. It was a much deserved standing ovation and he’s one to watch in 2017 for sure!
And here’s the full-ish list…
Tags: Adele, Alicia Keys, Aurora, Bastille, Brendon Urie, Britney Spears, Calum Scott, Jack Garratt, Morgxn, OneRepublic, Panic At The Disco, Sia, Troye Sivan, Twenty One Pilots, Wrabel, Years and Years